Gallery for Augus is available: Here
|Affiliation||Eight Guardian Generals (formerly)|
|Occupation||Guardian General (formerly)|
|Japanese||Unshō Ishizuka (石塚 運昇, Ishizuka Unshō)|
AppearanceAugus looks much like Asura, yet with a taller and bulkier frame and with much longer hair with a wild look.
He has intricate markings of red symbols on his body which portrays him as a savage warrior. He wears a pair of silver intricately decorated gauntlets on his arms and his sword is sheathed horizontally behind his waist. He wears baggy white pants with remnants of armor and a torn white sash attached to them. Augus is in fact blind, but the glow his eyes emit keeps them from being seen.
Augus was a bold warrior in all aspects of his view on life. He valued the bloodshed of his enemies that he spread and enjoyed battling for the sake of the battle itself and was thrilled by others following the same philosophy. He was also a bit of a hedonist as he valued all the basic pleasures in life but couldn't understand more altruistic concepts such as protecting loved ones. Despite his bloodlust, Augus was also a capable master and teacher as he was able to teach both Yasha and Asura in the ways of battle and combat. He also seemed to dislike rational thought and other sensible approaches when dealing with matters and prefers to fight instead, which may be the reason why he favored Asura as his star pupil over Yasha in the past. Yet despite his rugged traits, Augus proved to be an understanding and receptive individual as he held no qualms for Asura defeating him and even enjoyed his defeat before giving Asura his blessing.
Augus was originally a rogue demigod warrior who lived in the mountainous areas defeating large Gohma and various warriors in his pursuit to find a worthy fighter. After easily defeating a large Gohma, Augus proclaimed his dissatisfaction and desire for a stronger opponent, but was suddenly approached by Deus, a newly-appointed Guardian General at the time. Augus assumed Deus of coming to avenge an Eight Guardian General he had murdered in a fight in the past, but Deus described it as not his intention and instead asked Augus to join him and become one of the Eight Guardian Generals. Not interested due to his belief he was too strong to be a General, Augus derided Deus, saying he didn't want to be in the same ranks as weaklings, which caused Deus to attempt to use force to make Augus join him. After an arduous fight, with each marveling at each other's skill, Augus let the match settle as a draw and promised to join as long as the fights were as interesting as the one with Deus. Deus promised battles aplently and described his dedication to the purification of the Gohma, something according to Augus no one in the history of Shinkoku has attempted. Excited, Augus eagerly join Deus' ranks as a General.
At a later point, Augus was once the mentor of Asura and Yasha as well as a good friend. They spent much time together fighting and training and formed a close bond. However, Asura never understood his master's lust for fighting his entire life.
12,500 Years later
After Wyzen's and Kalrow's deaths, Augus stepped forward to face his former student, Asura. After a brief recovery at a hot spring, where the two had a brief remembering of the times they used to fight alongside one another, they took their battle to the surface of the moon itself. While on the moon, Augus began to recollect the time that Asura was still his pupil and during that time he had known Asura would be the opponent he had been waiting for. With that statement, Asura lunged at Augus with a swift punch to the jaw, starting their final battle.
Augus was a truly formidable foe for Asura, but Asura managed to prove himself just as powerful. After being pushed back enough, Augus drew his sword, Wailing Dark, and continued the fight, recognizing Asura as a worthy opponent. Despite Augus having the advantage of a weapon, Asura was able to fight back using his raging strength. As Yasha and Deus watched the fight, Yasha is surprised that Augus drew his blade and commented that Augus had used his nodachi against only one other opponent in the past: Deus.
After a long grueling fight, Augus finally managed put Asura on the defense to keep from being impaled by Augus' sword and pushed him towards Gaia. The power from the attack and the force from the fall was so strong that it pierced Asura and the planet itself, breaking all but one of Asura's arms in the process. Augus, seeing his victory, continued to plummet toward Gaia pushing his sword farther through, but Asura used his raging strength to break Augus's sword. Asura managed to grab the broken sword with his teeth and sliced through Augus' abdomen. Augus collapsed to the ground, saying that the battle against Asura was among the greatest he ever had. He then tells Asura that he no longer requires his training and he must walk his own path from now on. Augus then dies, satisfied that his student had surpassed him and given him such a fulfilling battle.
Augus later reincarnated into a modern world where he became a wandering Japanese person and since then became a calmer person.
Powers and Abilities
As one of the elite fighters of the Seven Deities and the Former Eight Guardian Generals, Augus is immortal to the ravages of time and possesses superhuman strength, speed, durability, and endurance.Augus is an exceptionally skilled hand-to-hand combatant as the former master of Asura and Yasha, which makes him dislike the use of mantra attacks as he believes that as a true warrior, he is above such techniques, although he is able to charge his blows with his mantra, with his skill allowing him to kill the previous General of Greed as well as many other opponents he encounters without having to draw his sword and he has also repeatedly defeated Asura in their spars. In their final battle, Augus was able to fight completely evenly with Six Armed Vajra Asura despite him having the advantage of six arms before he eventually decided to draw Wailing Dark. He is shown to have an incredible amount of strength and endurance, as he brushed off a direct hit from Asura's fist multiple times and could send him flying with a mere punch and match his incredible strength even when he was in Six Armed Vajra Asura. He was also able to flick away a Gohma Crusher with nothing but his thumb. His speed is also immense, as he was able to catch Asura off guard by appearing before him in the blink of an eye and could evenly keep up with his punching speed despite Asura's advantage of having six arms.
Augus' greatest weapon is a mystical sword named 'Wailing Dark', which he only draws against an opponent he deems sufficiently powerful and skilled; in Augus' lifetime, only Deus and Asura have qualified as such. He is able to wield the sword so effectively as of being capable of evenly matching Deus wielding his Nunchaku with his sword, although Deus likely held back to not kill him as he intended to recruit him, and forcing Six Armed Vajra Asura back to his original form before finally being barely defeated. With Wailing Dark, Augus can generate massive slash and waves of energy that travel above or along the ground and can slice everything in its path. Varies between a single wave slash or blade beam style split energy slashes, also it has the ability to extend its blade to impossibly long lengths to the point that it can pierce through a whole planet from one end to the other in a few seconds. It has also been shown to possess incredible cutting power: it raised up a huge chunk of the Moon with a single slice, and literally cut through the Earth itself during Augus' battle with Asura.
- "Relax son, enjoy every moment! You fight, then eat good food. You fight, then drink fine wine. You fight, then sleep with beautiful women. Hell, fight with beautiful women! That is what it means to live." --To Asura
- "Do you worry for him? You need not fear. He will not die yet. When he does, it will be by these hands. (Laughs)" --To Ahria about Asura
- "The world has become a boring place. That fool Deus claims he'll bring salvation to Gaea. He has this grand plan for it all. He actually thinks he's going to save the world. The Great Rebirth. Ridiculous!" --To Asura about Deus
- "They are all too dependent on Mantra, that is why Wyzen and Kalrow were so weak. The battles I fight for them are disappointing. They are unsatisfying. Things were different before. Yes...We used to fight side by side. Those were the days." --To Asura about the Seven Deities
- "This will do. It's just you and me. Time to raise some hell!" --To Asura
- "Now that I think of it. The last time we fought like this, you were still my pupil. You were wild, unfocused, and had the eyes of a beast. Even then, I knew someday you'd become the opponent I had been waiting for. I hope you don't disappoint!!" --To Asura
- "I have had carnal knowledge of the fairest maidens in Heaven... and have tasted the finest wines of Gaia. But none of it-- none of it-- excites my blood more than using my blade! Prepare to meet your end, Asura!!" --To Asura
- "Something to protect? Nonsense! The only reason one needs to fight is the fight itself!" --To Yasha about Asura's reason to fight
- "Show me what you're made of, Asura!" --To Asura
- "I've waited a long time for this!" --To Asura
- "You are worthy of my blade!" --To Asura
- "You need to enjoy this more!" --To Asura
- "I never taught you to run away!" --To Asura
- "How would you like to die, pupil?!" --To Asura
- "This is fun! It's like hunting!" - To Asura about their fight
- "Don't die yet!" --To Asura
- "I taught you better than that!" --To Asura
- "This is what I live for! This is why we exist! But all good things must come to an end! You know this was coming!" --To Asura
- "This is where real men belong! In the fight!" --To Asura
- "Only the strong survive! I taught you that much!" --To Asura
- "Only one fighter can walk away alive!" --To Asura
- "I will say it once more. I am you and you are me!" --To Asura
- "I don't fight for good, and I don't fight for evil. I just fight!"--To Asura
- "Then tell me, how are we so different?! (Pause) Then make me understand with your fists, Asura!" --To Asura
- "Can't even handle a fall from the heavens. You lack training!" --To Asura
- " Hmph. You need to live in the moment more!" --To Yasha
- "That was one hell of a battle! What now? Where will that anger take you? You are not me, yet you continue to fight. (Pause) You no longer need my training. The one who stands in the end is righteous. Asura, walk the path that you must." --Last words to Asura
- His appearance and personality were based off of an early design of Asura. This relates to his quote "I am you and you are me."
- Augus was the first of the Seven Deities to be revealed as he was the first seen in the official trailer.
- Augus' nodachi (essentially an oversized katana), Wailing Dark, can extend up to 380,000 km which is approximately 236121.05305018692 miles, according to an interview with Kazuhiro Tsuchiya and Seiji Shimoda.
- Accordingly to Yasha, Augus only uses Wailing Dark against worthy opponents, such as Asura, Deus, and certain Gohma. Though with the latter, he merely whacked the opponents with his own fists, with the sword still sheathed.
- Along with his appearance, and the traits of his sword, Augus could be a nod to Sun Wukong, The Monkey King and main character of the famous Chinese novel "Journey to the West", whom also inspired the creation and abilities of Goku from the Dragon Ball franchise.
- Augus' code of combat is also similar to the Street Fighter character Akuma's, as they both fight for the sake of fighting, and they never hold back when in a good fight.
- The name, 'Augus', is most likely derived from the word, 'August', which means as an adjective: "inspiring awe or admiration: majestic" or "Venerable by reasons of age or rank."
- The music that plays during his final fight against Asura is Symphony No. 9 in E Minor, "From the New World", Op. 95, B. 178: IV. Allegro cuon Fuoco. The song was composed by Antonin Dvorak, while the particular performance used during the battle was conducted by Libor Pisek and the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Personality-wise he seems similar to Kenpachi Zaraki from Bleach in their lust for battle and always seeking strong opponents, even proud of the fact they were defeated by the main character of their respective series.
- He is possibly based off of Murugan, whom is known as Kartikeya, the Hindu God of War.