Gallery for Deus is available: Here
Eight Guardian Generals (formerly)
|Occupation||Commander Guardian General|
Head Deity (formerly)
|Japanese||Masashi Ebara (江原 正士, Ebara Masashi)|
AppearanceDeus is shown as a tall tan-skinned demigod with older features. Due to his status as the leader of the Seven Deities, Deus is depicted older than the other demigods (with the exception of Kalrow). His hair is white and in a slicked style, he also has a white beard with a golden placated goatee. He wears a white shoulder protectors along with a cape, and underneath, he wears a white tuxedo like uniform adorned with golden marks all over along with a golden armor, golden shinguards and claws for each finger.
Deus was a prideful and arrogant demigod commander who was also ruthless and hungry for power and control. He was an extremist who believed that a good end justified the means no matter how terrible the means were and harbored a severe god complex and messiah complex. To this end, he desired to stop the eternal conflict between the Demigods and the Gohma and fight against fate, as he stated: "That is the duty of a god".
Deus planned to create a new world and shape an ideal utopia in his own image and had the Emperor of Shinkoku Trastium murdered, not only to enact this goal, but because the Emperor was complacent with the fate of the demigods and temporary peace. He also has a great sense of honor and righteousness as seen during one of the interludes it was suggested by Olga that Deus should become the new Emperor, but Deus refused stating he would prefer to remain a warrior and not to sit on a throne. Ironically, he was seen sitting on a throne during both of his meetings with Yasha, which could be considered an act of hypocrisy and extreme corruption on his part. He also despised the Gohma and was willing to destroy countless innocents in order to eradicate them permanently. However, Deus was not completely devoid of remorse for his actions as he did show anger towards Yasha for suggesting he solely wished to slaughter countless lives for power.
Deus, in short, was an honorable demigod who truly wished to save the world, but his delusional pride and extremist views made him drunk with power, corrupting his judgment and leading him to orchestrate heinous actions. Deus also had a belief that aspects such as power and words without purpose were meaningless and with a purpose they could make the impossible into the possible.
Deus was once the Commander of the Eight Guardian Generals and led the Shinkoku army in battles against the Gohma. He and the other Guardian Generals protected the Emperor of Shinkoku and Gaea from the Gohma threat for eons. In some point in the past he warned the Emperor of the power of the Gohma and their eventual return and that preemptive measures must be put in place, but the Emperor saw peace for his people the only option. After they once again defeated the Gohma, Deus murdered Emperor Strada and let it appear like Asura killed him. After this, Asura was branded a traitor, his wife Durga was killed, and his daughter Mithra was kidnapped to trigger Deus' master plan: "The Great Rebirth". Enraged at the murder of his beloved wife and the betrayal of his comrades, Asura faced Deus, but he was no match for him. Deus promptly banished Asura to Earth to keep him from interfering with his plans to create a new world.
12,500 Years later
Deus was close to his goal, but after Yasha betrayed him and most of his fellow deities were killed by Asura, his plans were foiled. Yasha tried to fight him alone, but it proved to be impossible. Yet Asura aided his friend and together they fought Deus. Deus' powers were able to subdue both Asura and Yasha. Wounded but not beaten, Asura and Yasha collected their strength and attacked Deus once more, finally wounding him. Dying, Deus mocked Asura with the fact that despite defeating him, he had allowed the Gohma destroy Gaia without any hindrances. Asura and Yasha freed Mithra and went out to fight the Gohma, as Deus' body disappeard, with him still believing only he could beat the Gohma.
In a post credits bonus scene, 870 million years later, the world resembles modern day Earth, with Deus reincarnated into a mayor of a city who now cares about the people of the city, helping an old person cross the street. Deus works alongside the reincarnated Olga, with her serving as his secretary.
Powers and Abilities
As one of the Seven Deities, Deus is immortal and possesses superhuman physical abilities. He is possibly the most skilled and dangerous of the Seven Deities due to his position and unmatched power. The fact that Augus had to draw his sword against him (the first time he had ever done so) at some point in the past indicates that he is a very formidable opponent. Being the leader of the Seven Deities further evidences how powerful he is, as the others - Augus included - acknowledge his power.
Deus possessed great mastery over Lightning which he could use to teleport and call down lightning strikes through sheer will alone. Deus could greatly incapacitate enemies using electricity and bring forth torrents of lightning to attack on multiple sides. Deus also could telekinetically lift individuals and electrocute them simultaneously.Deus also possessed incredible physical combat skills as he was able to fight off Asura with just one hand and match Yasha's fluid movements effortlessly. Deus possessed incredible levels of durability and speed as he was able to take multiple blows from Yasha and Asura without sustaining visible
During the various other fights, Deus has shown he is immensely skilled in using his nunchaku known as Sakra in conjuction with his lightning abilities, as he was able to use them to beat Augus to a draw and gain the upperhand on both Asura and Yasha during their fights.
"Battles such as this that bring temporary peace are meaningless and a waste of time."--To Himself about the War with the Gohma
"Power without a purpose is meaningless and worthless. A purpose that is firm can change the impossible to the possible. That is the power of our cause."--To Yasha
"I will show you the meaning of power!"--To Yasha
"There is no salvation without gods!!"--To Yasha
"Our cause is genuine. We are in the right."--To Yasha
"It is my destiny to purge this planet of the Impure. And if I must be the one to guide our people in doing do, then so be it. But I will always be a warrior. Once we have accomplished our goal, I shall resign my post. My purpose has always been for the cause. I have no desire to sit on a throne for all eternity!!"--To Olga
"Another way? Did you think I had not considered that?! Did you think I had not considered other possibilities?!"--To Yasha
"Purpose without power is meaningless. We must succeed, no matter what the sacrifice. We must obtain power greater than that of the will of the planet."--To Yasha
"Yasha, words without power are worthless. If you think you can save the world with your own fists, then show me! Show me this newfound power of yours!"--To Yasha
"Hell is it? This planet considers the mortals its enemy and is trying to devour all their souls. This planet denies our very birthright. Yes, this world is Hell. That's why sacrifices must be made in order to save it. No matter how many mortal souls it cost!"--To Asura
"To fight the will of the entire planet, you must attain power greater than that of a god. Behold, this is that very power. (Pause) Destiny has a master and it is me!--To Asura and Yasha
"I am the god that carries the fate of civilization on his shoulders. All who oppose are guilty of blasphemy! You are a danger to my world! Consider your lives, forfeit!!"--To Asura and Yasha
"So naive. It is too powerful. You will never defeat Vlitra. Only I can."--Last Words
- Deus is the leader of the Seven Deities and Asura's main target.
- Deus translates to "God" in Sanskrit.
- In Classic Latin it was a general noun referring to any divine figure.
- In Late Latin, it came to be used mostly of the Christian God.
- Deus, being the God King of the Seven Deities & having vast control of over Thunder/Lightning, could have been inspired by the famous Hindu Mythological deity, Indra, who is both King of the Hindu Gods & the God of Thunder/Lightning.
- He also bears a striking resemblance to Ganondorf from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
- Deus is one of few characters of Capcom that wear Formal businessmen clothing, one of the others being Fortinbras from the Onimusha series.
- Deus' name is ultimately derived from Dyas Piter, the Indo-European sky deity that is the prototype for lightning-wielding celestial king gods from Indra to Odin to Zeus. The Greek word for God is "theos, which became Deus in Latin.
- Deus' appearance can be clearly inspired from Indian god, Indra, due to his dark complexion, forehead piece, and pattern of marks on his body. The fact Indra was the God of Lightning and Thunder in Indian mythology emphasizes Deus' connection.
- When counterattacking Deus during the final battle against him, it goes into first person view with Asura pummeling Deus is very similar to Kratos killing Zeus at the end of God of War 3.
- Throughout both the two episodes of fighting Deus is similiar to the final battle in Kingdom Hearts 2. First you get to the boss by fighting through enemies, then you fight him with help of another character, after that you get onto a hovercraft and fly to the boss, then you fight him again with both characters, then switch to the second character to fight him and switches again to the first.
- Deus is very similar to Zeus (God of War) for both are Gods of Lightning & King of the Gods who betray and nearly kill their series respective protagonists (Asura and Kratos) who then seek revenge on and kill them.